Sunday, February 10, 2019

79 Days Until Launch



Most people paddle the Inside Passage in one go. My expedition partner and I have decided that due to time and family constraints we will split it into two sections. A north section down to Prince Rupert and then from there to Seattle the following year. Many paddler's accounts made us wonder if we could paddle efficiently from north to south, and so in 2018 we tested the theory and paddled from Skagway to Juneau in  four days, with one more spent windbound. We proved to ourselves that May temperatures are tolerable in Alaska and the winds won't slow us terribly. You may be wondering "Why paddle south?" and for us it is a simple answer, we live up here in the north. 

There are so many questions swirling in my mind as I begin this post. Am I ready? Is my gear ready? Have I got enough lists? Has our planning been concise? I have been researching for months now. Reading anything I could to help us on our adventure in the Inside Passage including other paddlers accounts of their adventures, blogs, historical weather, marine flora & fauna field guides and even dehydrator cook books. There is a plethora of information to wade through for anyone considering the challenge of propelling themselves through the passage.

I am setting goals for preparations as I realize that the time is getting short and there is still much to do. Between working full time, training for the expedition, eating properly and sleeping there are not many extra hours left for preparation and planning so I need to use them wisely. Organizing my thoughts as well as my gear is going to be the purpose of this blog. I think it will be just as handy as all those lists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me